- Administrative appeals
- Petitions for writ of certiorari
- Appeal of a traffic case
- Parking appeals
The Appeals Unit is located on the 3rd floor of the Miami-Dade County Courthouse East Building.
Notices or Petitions are to be filed with the Civil Division, Appeals Unit, 22 NW 1st Street Miami, FL 33128 Room 301.
The Notice or Petition may also be filed at the court location in which the case on appeal was heard. If this is done, please fax a copy to 305-679-1113.
Requests for the status of a matter pending before the court can be directed to the Appeals Unit at 305-679-1007.
Please be advised that the clerk cannot give any legal advice or provide the name of the judge considering the matter.
Notice of Appeal
- The caption shall contain the name of the lower tribunal, the name (including the address) and designation of at least one party on each side, and the case number in the lower tribunal
- The body of the notice shall contain the name of the court to which the appeal is taken, the date of rendition of the order being appealed, whether the appeal is on a final or non-final order and the nature of the order to be reviewed
A conformed copy of the order or orders designated in the notice of appeal shall be attached to the notice together with any order entered on a timely motion postponing rendition of the order or orders appealed, except in criminal cases.
Record on Appeal
- An original and three copies of all briefs must be filed with the Court
- Pursuant to appellate rules 9.110(4)(f), 9.130(6)(e), and 9.140(g), your initial brief is due within the prescribed times as noted below, subject to any orders tolling the time for said filing
- Civil and administrative appeals: rule 9.110(4) (f) appellant’s initial brief shall be served within 70 days of filing the notice
- Appeal on non final orders: rule 9.130(6) (e) appellant’s initial brief, accompanied by an appendix as prescribed by rule 9.220, shall be served within 15 days of filing the notice
- Criminal appeals: 9.140(g) initial briefs shall be served within 30 days of service of the record or designation of appointed counsel, whichever is later
- Unless otherwise required, the answer brief shall be served within 20 days after service of the initial brief; the reply brief, if any, shall be served within 20 days after service of the answer brief
- The original and three copies of all briefs shall be securely bound in book form or be securely stapled in the upper left corner
- When filing an appendix, four bound copies of the appendix must be submitted
Appeal Filing Check List
- Notice of appeal or petition with copy of order being appealed attached
- Name and address of all parties included on notice, petition or attached order
- Filing fees and record deposit
- Original of any brief filed
- Directions and designations filed within 10 days of filing of the notice of appeal
Circuit To Third District Court Of Appeals
Fees for County Civil Appeals, Traffic, Misdemeanor, Writs of Certiorari, Parking and Criminal Domestic Violence:
- $281 appeal to circuit court
- $1 per page
- $2 certification fee
- $281 appeal to circuit court
Record Preparation Deposits:
In addition to the filing fees, a records preparation deposit is required when the appeal is filed in the following amount:
- $100 for County Court Civil & Parking
- $250 for Traffic and Misdemeanor Appeals, Criminal Domestic Violence