Skip to main content
Juan Fernandez-Barquin, ESQ.
Clerk of the Court and Comptroller
Miami-Dade County

Civil Traffic Infractions

Under Florida statutes, a civil infraction is a case in which a person is suspected of committing a non-criminal traffic infraction. These violations are classified as either moving or non-moving. A moving violation normally assesses points against the driver license while non-moving violations do not. These violations are not punishable by incarceration and there is no right to trial by jury or to court-appointed counsel.

Upon receipt of a traffic citation issued to you for a civil infraction, you have 30 days from the date of issuance to satisfy your obligation. In order to satisfy your citation, you can:

Failure to satisfy your citation(s) by following one of the options within 30 days of the issue date will result in late fees and the suspension of your driver license.

Pay by Mail
You can pay by mail with a check or money order to:

Clerk of the Court and Comptroller
Traffic/Misdemeanor Division
PO BOX 19321 
Miami, Florida  33101-9321

Please note - Your license may be suspended by the state of Florida if the Clerk's Office receives your payment more than 30 days from the issue date.

Pay by Phone
Contact the Traffic/Misdemeanor Division 24-hour Interactive Voice Response System at 305-275-1111.
If you would like to speak to a deputy clerk, call Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. and noon.

Pay in Person
Please wait 24 hours after the payment was received for the information to appear in our system. You can verify if a payment was received online or by using our automated phone service. 
Offices are open Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. Schedule an appointment before visiting our offices to avoid delays. It is highly recommended that you avoid lunch hours, as the office will not be fully staffed during this time.  
It is important that you check the copy of your traffic citation and verify that all the information is correct. If you have moved and need to change your address, you may do so in person or by mail. This service is not offered by phone.
Fill out the Defendant's New Address form and mail it to:
Clerk of the Court and Comptroller
Traffic/Misdemeanor Division
PO BOX 19321 
Miami, Florida  33101-9321

If your case is not in collection agency status, you may request to be placed on a payment plan by completing the Payment Plan Application and visiting the Richard E. Gerstein Justice Building or one of our District locations, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. You may schedule an appointment before visiting our offices to avoid delays.

Please note to enroll, there is a $25 payment plan fee.

Request Court Hearing for Civil Traffic Infractions

You may plead not guilty and request a court hearing. There are three categories for requesting a court hearing. You can find the Request for Trial Form in the related resources section provided at the bottom of the page. Once competed, you may submit your request in person, by mail, or by visiting

Please refer to the scenario that applies to your case:

  • Your citation was issued within the last 30 days: You may submit a request for trial either in person, by mail, by phone or online within 30 days of the citation’s issue date. You will receive notice of your hearing date, time and location within six to eight weeks at the address listed on the citation.
  • Your citation was issued between 31 and 180 days ago: You may pay a $16.00 late fee to have your case set for court. This fee can be paid either online, in person, by mail or by phone.
  • Your citation was issued more than 180 days ago: In order to have your case set for court, you must submit a motion to the administrative traffic judge. The motion should state why you failed to comply with your citation on time and that you are requesting to have your case set for court. If your driver's license is or is about to be suspended be aware that the filing of this motion will have no effect on your driver's license suspension until the judge grants your motion. You should receive a response from the judge by mail and it may take up to three weeks to receive this response. If the judge grants your motion, you will need to pay a fee at the Clerk's Office.

If You Cannot Attend Court

If you cannot attend court in Miami-Dade County on a civil infraction traffic citation, you may submit a plea of not guilty in absentia by posting a bond by mail with cashier's check or money order in the amount of the civil penalty plus the clerk's fee along with a notarized affidavit of defense sent to:
Clerk of the Court and Comptroller,
PO Box 19321
Miami, Florida 33101-9321 
The affidavit can only be submitted for civil infraction violations and will act as your testimony in court. Upon completion of the case, the court will notify you of the outcome. If fines and/or court costs were assessed, they will be deducted from the bond. If the case is dismissed or you are found not guilty, your bond amount will automatically be refunded.

Citations that Require Compliance

If you are charged with a violation of:
  • Driver's license (expired less than four months)
  • Registration
  • PIP insurance
  • Defective equipment

These violations will be dismissed if you submit proof that BEFORE the citation was issued you had valid documentation. A dismissal fee is required.

If renewal was obtained after the issuance of the citation, submit proof of the renewed document along with the amount of the civil penalty. This payment option is available on tag, registration, PIP insurance violations and on driver's license violations if license was expired for four months or less.

If you are charged with a violation of Florida Statute 316.2935 or 316.610 "Improper or Unsafe Equipment," you may receive a reduced penalty on these violations if you repair the defect within 30 days of the issue date. Send written proof within 30 days that the defect has been corrected. A civil penalty is required.


Please check to make sure your case is in the system at Traffic Searches (  If it is, you can provide proof of compliance, proof of traffic school completion, a change of address, requests for trial, proof of defective equipment compliance, motions and all other court related documents by accessing the E-Portal and filing your document as a self-represented litigant at

Persons cited for traffic violations select one of the following:
1. Pay civil penalty within 30 days (points)
2. Attend driver improvement school within 30 days (no points)
3. Request a trial by a hearing officer or judge within 30 days

Note: Total payment includes fine, court costs and fees

  • Pedestrian/bicycle violation - $77.50
  • Child restraint violation - $179
  • Failure to stop for a school bus - $384
  • Passing school bus Photo Enforced - $344
  • Illegal parking in disabled spaces - $196
  • Moving (except speeding & failure to stop at traffic signal) Ch. 316 - $179
  • Spectator to a drag race - $244
  • Non-moving-Chapter 316 - $129
  • Seat belt violations - $129
  • Toll facility violations - $149
  • Failure to move or slow down for an emergency vehicle - $149
  • Illegal railroad crossing - $219
  • Driving all-terrain vehicle without a helmet - $124
  • Farm Labor Vehicle/Notice not displayed - $199
  • Farm Labor Vehicle/Equipment violation - $299
  • Failure to stop at a red traffic signal - $277
  • Moving-Chapters 320 & 322 - $176
  • Non-moving-Chapters 320 & 322 - $129
  • Speeding 6-9 MPH - $144
  • Speeding 10-14 MPH - $219
  • Speeding 15-19 MPH - $269
  • Speeding 20-29 MPH - $294
  • Speeding 30 MPH and over - $369
  • Speeding in Marked School Zone - Photo Enforcement in Excess of 10MPH over Limit - $219
  • Speeding in School/Construction zone 1-5 MPH - $169
  • Speeding in School/Construction zone 6-9 MPH - $169
  • Speeding in School/Construction zone 10-14 MPH - $319
  • Speeding in School/Construction zone 15-19 MPH - $419
  • Speeding in School/Construction zone 20-29 MPH - $469
  • Speeding in School/Construction zone >= 30 MPH - $619
  • Renewing DL/tag/registration - $129
  • Renewing Insurance - $129
  • Unsafe equipment - $109
  • Late charges for payments after 30 days - Add'l $16
  • Additional maximum fine for injury or damage to the blind - $250
  • Dismissal fee or repairing defect - $10
  • License reinstatement - $60
  • Preparing and releasing D-6 - $7
  • Appeal to circuit court - $281

Other Fees:

  • Examining, comparing, correcting, verifying & certifying transcripts - $5
  • In appellate proceedings, per page, Preparing, numbering & indexing original record of appellate proceedings, per instrument - $3.50
  • Verifying an instrument prepared by someone other than clerk - $3.50
  • Writing paper other than specifically mentioned, same as for copying, including signing and sealing - $7
  • Oath, administering, attesting and sealing - $3.50
  • Validating certificates - $3.50
  • Preparing affidavit of domicile - $5
  • Exemplified clerk certificates, including signing and sealing - $7
  • Authenticated clerk certificates, including signing and sealing - $7
  • Issuing and filing subpeona for a witness, including signing & sealing - $7
  • Signing and sealing subpeona - $2
  • Searching records, each year - $2
  • Payment plan fee - $25
  • Certified or registered mail postal charges - Cost
  • Non-sufficient funds: <= $50 - $25
  • Non-sufficient funds: $50.01 to $300 - $30
  • Non-sufficient funds: > $300 - >of $40 or 5% of check
  • Interest Rates on Final Judgments - July 1, 2024 - September 30, 2024 - 9.46%

You are now leaving the official website of the Miami-Dade Clerk of Court and Comptroller. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. The Miami-Dade Clerk of Court and Comptroller is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to external sites does not constitute an endorsement.

Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.