Skip to main content
Juan Fernandez-Barquin, ESQ.
Clerk of the Court and Comptroller
Miami-Dade County

Postponement or Excusal Request

Request to postpone jury duty

If the date of jury service is inconvenient, it is a policy of the Court to grant one courtesy request for postponement of jury duty. 

In order to postpone service, you must log into Clearview Juror Portal Clearview Juror Portal and register. Once you have completed your registration, you will have the option to postpone your service.

This option is only available up to seven (7) days before your start date on your summons. The system will display all available dates.  You must log into Clearview Juror Portal the Friday evening before your postponed date to verify your reporting status.  You may also be notified via text or email if you select that method of communication during registration. Postponements less than seven (7) days before your start date are only granted in extenuating circumstances, so please make sure to complete your registration and schedule your postponement with sufficient time.

Request for Excusal from jury duty

Jurors requesting to be excused must log into Clearview Juror Portal and register. Once you have completed your registration, you will have the option to request an excusal or disqualification from jury service for your current summons.

The following persons MUST request to be disqualified from jury duty and provide the appropriate documentation to be disqualified:

  • Persons who are under 18 years of age
  • Persons who are not U.S. citizens (proof of non-citizenship must be submitted)
  • Persons who are no longer residents of Miami-Dade County (if you live in another state, include a copy of your new Driver License from that state, if you live in Florida but not in Miami-Dade County, submit a copy of your Florida Driver License with your new address). 
  • Persons presently under prosecution for a crime (proof of current ongoing criminal case must be submitted)
  • Convicted felons who have not had their civil rights restored (proof of conviction, probation order and/or charging document must be submitted)
  • Deceased persons

The following persons are allowed to serve, but MAY be excused from jury duty upon request:

  • Persons with a physical incapacity, mental incapacity, mental illness, intellectual disability or senility (an original, current, signed doctor's certificate must be submitted)
  • Persons who served as a juror within one year of their summons date (submit a copy of your certificate of attendance from the court where you physically reported for jury service within one year)
  • Any person who is responsible for the care of a person who, because of mental illness, intellectual disability, senility, or other physical or mental incapacity, is incapable of caring for himself or herself.
  • Expectant mothers (submit a doctor's certificate)
  • Active, full-time law enforcement officers.
  • Persons 70 years of age or older
  • Parents with a child 5 years of age or younger, who are not employed full-time

All requests must be submitted through Clearview Juror Portal or in writing with the necessary documentation. Telephone requests for excusal or disqualification will not be accepted.

You will only be able to request an excusal or disqualification through Clearview Juror Portal up to seven (7) days before the start date listed on your summons.

Note: Transportation, travel or hardships not listed here or on Clearview Juror Portal are not grounds for excusal but you may reschedule your service by following the instructions under request to postpone jury duty.

Jurors not reporting for duty may be held in contempt of court and/or fined up to $100.

You are now leaving the official website of the Miami-Dade Clerk of Court and Comptroller. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. The Miami-Dade Clerk of Court and Comptroller is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to external sites does not constitute an endorsement.

Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.