If you received a civil traffic infraction, you have the option to elect traffic school to satisfy your citation.
Points will not be assessed against your license. This option does not apply to tag, registration, driver license or PIP insurance, tolls, and/or red light violations issued by a camera. In addition, this option is not available to commercial driver’s license holders. You can register for traffic school by visiting the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles for a listing of school providers or by searching online.
- You are eligible to elect a 4-hour course once every 12 months, for a maximum of 5 times in a lifetime.
- If you are not eligible for the 4-hour course, you may request an 8-hour course only once in your lifetime.
- The Clerk of the Court and Comptroller must receive a certificate of completion within 120 days of the date of payment or court appearance. You can mail your certificate of completion to the Clerk of the Court and Comptroller, PO BOX 19321, Miami, Florida 33101-9321.
- If you elect to attend traffic school and do not comply within 120 days of election, you will be subject to a license suspension, point assessment and additional fees.
Child Restraint Offender's Program (C.R.O.P.)
If you have received a child restraint violation, you can elect to attend the C.R.O.P program and the civil penalty will be reduced and points will not be assessed. You can only attend this course once in a lifetime. Participants must bring their child restraint seat to class. The program is held at Miami Children's Hospital, 3100 S.W. 62 Avenue, Miami, FL 33155.
To register for the course, call the hospital at 305-663-6865.
You will have 60 days from either the date the citation was paid or from the date you attended court to complete the course. If you fail to complete this course within 60 days, additional penalties will be assessed, your license will be suspended and you will still be required to complete the course.
You can still avoid points on your driver license for a child restraint violation if you do not qualify for the C.R.O.P. You can elect either the 4- or 8-hour traffic school courses. The qualifications for those courses still apply.
- Child restraint violation - $175.20
- Failure to stop for a school bus - $391
- Moving (except speeding & failure to stop at traffic signal) Ch. 316 - $175.20
- Spectator to a drag race - $240.20
- Failure to move or slow down for an emergency vehicle - $156
- Illegal railroad crossing - $226
- Failure to stop at a red traffic signal - $284
- Moving-Chapters 320 & 322 - $172.20
- Speeding 6-9 MPH - $146.50
- Speeding 10-14 MPH - $208
- Speeding 15-19 MPH - $249
- Speeding 20-29 MPH - $269.50
- Speeding 30 MPH and over - $331
- Speeding in Marked School Zone - Photo Enforcement in Excess of 10MPH over Limit - $208
- Speeding in School/Construction/Toll zone 1-5 MPH - $167
- Speeding in School/Construction zone 6-9 MPH - $167
- Speeding in School/Construction/Toll zone 10-14 MPH - $290
- Speeding in School/Construction/Toll zone 15-19 MPH - $372
- Speeding in School/Construction/Toll zone 20-29 MPH - $413
- Speeding in School/Construction/Toll zone >= 30 MPH - $536
- Reduced fine if attend Child Restraint Offender's Program - $126
- Processing Fee for Failure to Complete Driving School $18