Skip to main content
Juan Fernandez-Barquin
Clerk of the Court and Comptroller
Miami-Dade County

Juvenile Court

Juvenile Court handles delinquency actions, dependency actions and Marchman Act petition cases involving children under 18 years old.

  • Delinquency actions are cases in which a child is alleged to have committed a law violation.
  • Dependency actions are cases in which a child has been alleged to have been abandoned, neglected or abused; Truancy.
  • Marchman Act Petitions in which a parent believes their child may be using drugs or other illicit substance. 

For more information regarding juvenile cases, please visit the Eleventh Judicial Circuit of Florida.

The Juvenile Courts Division can also assist you in searching and providing copies of juvenile records.

The Juvenile Courts Division works with the Juvenile Services Department (JSD), a centralized booking, processing, referral and evaluation center for all youth arrested in Miami-Dade County.

Parents can call the Juvenile Services Department (JSD) at 305-755-6130 to see if their child has been arrested. Information regarding juveniles is confidential and cannot be discussed over the telephone. With proper identification, only parents, guardian, child and his/her attorney have access to the court file and can visit the Clerk’s Office located at the Miami-Dade Children’s Courthouse to receive this information.

To file a termination of parental rights petition, you must file a properly prepared petition with the Juvenile Court Division. A fee is required or an order of indigency must be presented at the time of filing.

In order to obtain an order waving parental notification for termination of pregnancy, the petitioner must be a resident of Miami-Dade County and bring an official identification with photo. If requested, an attorney may be appointed to assist with the petition. The Clerk of Courts will provide the necessary documents. Please call 305-679-2155 for assistance.

If your child has been arrested

Once an arrested youth has been brought to the JSD, they are detained about 6-12 hours. If the child meets the criteria to detain, he or she will be sent directly to the Dade Juvenile Detention Center until a detention hearing is held within 24 hours and detention status is determined by the court. 

If the criteria to detain are not met, the child will be released to the proper custodian and summonsed to appear in court in 35 days. 

You can get custody of a child that is in your care and has had no court intervention involving, abandonment or abuse by calling Probate Court at 305-375-5978

Sealing and Expunging Juvenile Records

To seal or expunge a juvenile record requires court approval. The respondent must pay all outstanding fines, fees and court costs must be paid in full prior to having his record sealed or expunged.  
The necessary documents are available at the Miami-Dade Children’s Courthouse, Suite 3300. 
The respondent must obtain a certified copy of the final disposition. If you do not know your case number, an additional research fee will be assessed. 
The respondent will also receive a complete package of instructions: 
  • Including a fingerprint card which must be completed at a local law enforcement agency, and an application for a Certificate of Eligibility which must be completed by the state attorney's office (for expungements only) and mailed, along with a $75 fee to Florida Department of Law Enforcement. 
  • The forms for this portion of the process can also be obtained from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement
  • The Florida Department of Law Enforcement will mail you the Certificate of Eligibility
  • A filer may electronically file a petition to seal or expunge via the portal for juvenile cases.  For all other case types or if the filer wishes, they can go to the Clerk's Office with the certificate and the completed Petition to Seal or Expunge from your package. The defendant will be responsible for payment of the costs of copies and certification in addition to the $42 filing fee.  The clerk will then file these documents with the court.  
  • Attorneys must contact the judicial assistant for a court date.

Concerned about a Child's Drug Use or Behavioral Issues?

If you know a child who may be experimenting with drugs, or have behavior and/or family difficulties, call Juvenile Services Department at 305-755-6248 or 305-755-6130 (after hours) for more information.

  • Carrying Concealed Weapon without Identification - $25
  • Crimes compensation trust fund - $50
  • Fine - Various
  • 5% of fine surcharge for Crimes Compensation Trust Fund - Various
  • Crime prevention - $50
  • Public defender application fee - $50
  • Attorney lien: Attorney fees & costs, at least - $100
  • County ordinance for additional court costs - $65
  • Appeal to District Court of Appeals(Check written to District Court) - $300
  • Appeal to District Court of Appeals (Collected by Clerk) - $100
  • Receiving and disbursing all restitution payments, per payment - $3.50
  • SAO Cost of Prosecution at least - $100
  • County ordinance for revenue replacement surcharge - $85
  • Teen Court - $3
  • Attorney application fee chapter 39 proceedings - $50

You are now leaving the official website of the Miami-Dade Clerk of Court and Comptroller. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. The Miami-Dade Clerk of Court and Comptroller is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to external sites does not constitute an endorsement.

Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.